Saturday, August 27, 2011

Posting Should Be Easy

Really.  How hard can it be to just put up a blog post once a day?  It doesn't sound so hard.  But from my blogging, you would think it's the hardest thing in the world.

Perhaps it's because I think every post I put up has to be earth-shattering.  Deep.  Unplummable.  Okay, so I'm fooling myself on the last one.  Or two. 

Hey, I like to dream!

Anyway, all of that to say - I just need to start posting, people!

So I'll post about what I've done today.

Which would be...not much.

Yep.  It's been one of those lazy Saturdays that only comes around a few times a year - usually owing to some kind of illness.  It's lazy because my husband had to work most of the night (from home, thankfully!) and so he's very tired...my oldest wee one seems to have roseola and is laying a bit low with a fever and feels like doing lots of cuddling and book reading and Winnie-the-Pooh watching.  And I spent all day yesterday on my feet in the kitchen cooking and cooking for my latest attempt at a diet!  (You know, I should blog about that, really - stay tuned, but don't hold your breath.)  So it seemed like a great day to lay low and just enjoy each others' company. 

This means, being the foodies that we are, we've been spending a lot of time watching the Food Network.

 I suppose that might sound a little strange to some people.  When we're feeling tired and lazy, we don't usually turn on a movie...we tune into the Food Network.  Or the Cooking Channel.  We just love staying hungry!  Especially when we're trying to do a grain-free-dairy-free-legume-free-sugar-free-almost-everything-else-free diet!  It makes it that much more tantalizing to watch Paula Deen cook up a delicious looking wafer-pudding.

Or not.  But I enjoy the helpful cooking tips so much that I just can't resist watching.  And Manly likes suggesting, "You should make THAT," or, "It would be fine with me if you wanted to make THOSE" periodically.  I always agree with him.  He has excellent taste.  I mean, he married me, right?

I'm just kidding about that last part.  I still can't believe he picked me.  But he wouldn't want me to carry on too much about my unworthiness and stuff so I'll just leave it at that.

We watched "Pioneer Woman" - the first episode.  I thought it was fascinating and, though I don't see myself cooking country fried steaks anytime soon...I love the glimpse of farm life.  I may be a city slicker, and I love having my bakery a block away and two organic grocery stores within a 20-minute drive - not to mention all of the shopping choices.  But it sometimes seems to me that the country lifestyle keeps people a lot closer to reality.  It keeps them a bit more grounded, somehow - a better sense of what really matters and how things really work.

And of course there's something intoxicating about the thought of waking up in the morning and looking out of the window at miles of rolling countryside...and knowing it's your land.  To breathe the fresh air.  To work the land - your land.  To be more self-sufficient.  I know it would be a lot more work than this city girl is used to.  But I don't think that could be bad for me.  I'd probably be in much better shape without having to make time to do a workout!  Manly and I are definitely intrigued by the idea of the country life.  But this isn't the season of life for it.  We'll just dream for now! 


1 comment:

  1. Fun post! I can totally relate to watching Food Network to veg...we don't have a TV, but if we did, I would probably watching the cooking channel a lot! YAY for being foodies... :)

    ReplyDelete