Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Where I've been, Wheat Belly, and Whatever

I know that, as frequently happens, there have been rumors circulating that I must have dropped off the face of the earth again.  I say "again" because it happens regularly in my blogging life.  I am on, blogging almost daily, and then suddenly I disappear for weeks with no explanation or apology.  The fact is - are you ready for this?

I'm not very organized.

There, I said it.  Bet you would never have guessed that, right?  It's not like it's obvious or anything.

I won't bother with all of my reasons - it's been a very busy few (more like lots of) weeks since I last posted and I am ready to make a go of it again.

And there I go talking like Kipper and his friends again.  For the uninitiated, this is an adorable British animated show that my children love to watch.  Talking animals with delightful accents who say things like, "Let me have a go," and "Brilliant!" and "Ohhhh, NOOOOO!  The sun's gone in."

In other news, we are currently embarking upon a culinary adventure.  I hope to share some of it with you here, perhaps even including recipes.  I don't dare make any promises, but I do intend to try.

I think it is also showing that I have been reading "The Chronicles of Narnia."  My writing has gotten all British-ified.  You can always tell what I'm currently reading by the way that I write.  I'm doing it all with a British accent at present.  (See?  "At present."  "I don't dare."  "I do intend to try."  Lovely, but not exactly American, right?)

But I digress.  My husband and I have decided to try going completely wheat-free, and since we already know that Piper is sensitive to wheat, Rosie is along for the ride.  She doesn't seem to be missing wheat at all, though - and she's actually starting to eat some veggies.  And likes them.  YES!

Manly read most of "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis.  And yes, it is all the rage which makes it immediately suspect to my cynical little mind (which is in so much denial on the subject that I misspelled "cynical" twice just now).  However it does contain some very compelling arguments against wheat, which has apparently been bred and bred to produce the "perfect" variety of wheat - to the point that it has virtually been turned into a mutant grain.  It's all complicated and I won't try to explain it here.  Just know that after he read it, told me about it, and I read some of it for myself - we're pretty convinced that we should stay far away from wheat.  I would love to write more about this, but I don't really have the time because it would take a lot of referencing and such - I am no expert.  I would recommend that you read the book for yourselves, if you are curious.  (And no, no one is paying me to say that.  I don't think it's a miracle book, but it does seem to be very well-researched.  My data-loving mind appreciates this.)

So, explanations aside, we are a week into our wheat-free journey.  So far, so good.  We're actually really enjoying the food - we're not really missing the wheat that much!

And this concludes my greatly-abbreviated summary of what I've been up to since my last disappearance.  I take heart that I do have two blog posts written up and nearly ready to post - I just need to run them by my Proof-Reader a.k.a. World's Greatest Editor a.k.a. my husband.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment