Thursday, March 8, 2012

Tan Bellies

And no, the title is nothing like what you're thinking.  Just keep reading and all will become clear shortly.  ;)


This morning, Rosie watched closely as I sat down to eat my Lean Cuisine breakfast. She was very concerned. Not because I was evidencing such a complete lack of culinary discernment, I fear, but because my plate contained green beans littered with almonds and...ladybugs.

She was sure they were ladybugs. And Rosie adores ladybugs. There they were, plump and red, all over Mommy's plate, and she watched in alarm as Mommy raised the fork to her mouth, two helpless ladybugs perched on top, hastening towards certain doom.

“Mommy?” she said softly, but with a distinctly alarmed edge to her voice. “You...eat...ladybugs???”

I stopped with my fork in mid-air. For a moment it was my turn to be alarmed as I checked to make sure I wasn't about to consume some undesirably-packaged extra protein. But no, there were no ladybugs in sight. Only turkey, green beans, almonds...and cranberries.

The poor child saw the round, red cranberries and was convinced that I was a ladybug-killer. I set her mind at ease immediately, and she sighed with relief. “Oooooh,” she said. “TAN-bellies.”

Yes. Tan-bellies, cranberries – it's all much better than eating ladybugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment